Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My female pitbull, has been vomiting for a few days now. it…

Customer Question
My female pitbull, has...

My female pitbull, has been vomiting for a few days now. it looks like bile . she has been scratching and biting her backside.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the Pitbull eat anything unusual?

Not that I'm aware of

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Pitbull's name and age?

Exact age unknown we found her abandoned maybe 2 years ago. my husband would say 2 1/2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Pitbull's name?

Auburn

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Auburn?

She is throwing up I notice at night . But once I saw her start to eat it. Other than that severe itching and scratching . when she scratching she barks like it hurts her

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Are you seeing any abnormalities in the skin like redness, crusty swelling, etc.?

2- How long has she been having skin issues?

3- How much does she weigh?

4- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
On her backside near the tail where she rubs up against the fence to scratch all the time. She has been itching and biting awhile few weeks. She weighs over 50lbs. I gave her some Otc worm medicine about a week ago

I am sorry for the delay in response I was offline by the time you came back.

In response to your question, the itchy skin can be caused by allergies, an infection, mites, etc. to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Do not let her lick/gnaw the affected area, if she does pick up an E collar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing the affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- If no significant improvement after doing the above, follow up with your family veterinarian.

As far as the vomiting, this can be caused by many different medical conditions. I will not be possible for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are a simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian