Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Vomiting and diarrhea. Inside dogs. No toxic plants inside.

Vomiting and diarrhea. Inside...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what the dog ate?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She's only had her regular dog food.

1/7/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long have you been seeing these signs?

What does the vomit and diarrhea look like?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

There are two dogs. Not sure if only one is sick or both, but both seem to be feeling bad. Mouth is not foaming or sticky. Vomit was really green like they had eaten grass, then a pile of vomit was more normal in more of a mound. Poop was runny and greenish. Gums are pink and normal on both dogs. The Goldie was extremely thirsty and drank a lot of water, but didn't keep it down. That was about an hour ago. Neither are lethargic. They are responsive. We have an enclosed area where they go out the back door to do their business. We have rented the home for more than a year. The previous tenants, an elderly couple, also had dogs that were not taken very good care of. Our dog(S) was sick during the night, so we woke to find that they were ill. That's why we don't know whether it is one or both that is sick. One is a golden retriever (generally in good health until now). The other is a beagle terrier mix, who has some benign cysts and allergies. They are the same age at about 10 years. We have always kept their shots up-to-date; however, they didn't get them last year.
There doesn't seem to be any tenderness in the belly. The Goldie responds but seems to be weak, not lethargic.

Hello again,

No worries, if we suspect both are unwell we can address them similarly. Though I'd note that with more than one dog affected this is most likely infections (bacterial or viral) or may represent a shared exposure (less likely if they are monitored and don't have access to anything worrisome).

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care for both just now. To start, to tackle the nausea, you can consider treating both dogs with a OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if they have any health issues or are on any medications you haven't mentioned. Of course, if either cannot keep this down that would be a sign we need injectable anti-vomiting medication from your vet.

Otherwise if they settle a bit, we can then plan to feed small meals of an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion.

As well, if their stools are very loose, then we can also use pet safe anti-diarrheal. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of probiotics added in.

Overall, to see more than one dog possibly showing signs, we would be most concerned about something infectious here. So, we’d want to start supportive care now and it will do no harm to treat both even if only one is showing active signs. Of course, if any of the dogs cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get the local vet involved to assess them and start fluids, injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to nip this in the bud.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Thank you! We saw the vet today, after trying the Pepcid, Kaolin-Pectin, and probiotics with no improvement. Blood showed up in the stool today. Diagnosis is pancreatitis in the medium range. She was given a shot for nausea and prescribed antibiotics. She will be on water alone for another 24 hours. If the diarrhea hasn't subsided by then, the vet may have to put her on IV fluids. I feel like you gave the best advice possible under the circumstances. Thank you for your service.