Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

He's throwing up. 4 month old pug. I've cleaned him (Prince)

Customer Question
He's throwing up. Veterinarian's...

He's throwing up.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

4 month old pug

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the pug eat anything unusual?

I've cleaned him (Prince) up and his bed. His food is not different, but when Prince is not in his crate he go around smelling and licking the carpet.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the pug's name?

Prince

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Prince?

He has nerve damage in his right leg that he can't use. We took him to the vet on last Thur. and other than his leg issue, he said Prince was healthy. Dr. Cleveland has scheduled Prince to see a specialist that'she a surgeon on this Tues. for his leg. He has not barked for me in about 2 days. Not sure if he'said just not feeling well. He started doing a little sneezing yesterday. It is cold outside right now when he goes out. Of course, he'said in the grass when we take him out.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Vomiting in dogs can be due to many things including:
1. gastroenteritis (inflammation/ irritation/ infection of gastro-intestinal tract)
2. dietary indiscretion
3. foreign body obstruction
4. pancreatitis (infection of pancreas gland)
5. organ/ endocrine abnormality
6. cancer in older dogs

We typically shoot x-rays to rule out an obstruction and run bloodwork to rule out pancreatitis and organ disease.

The majority of cases will be due to a non-specific gastroenteritis and conservative care at home can often relieve the signs.

This is what I would do for now:
1. With hold food and water until he goes 6-8 hours without vomiting
2. Give over the counter Pepcid AC (Famotidine) at a dose of 0.25 mg per lb every 12-24 hours
3. After the fasting period you can try either a bland diet of broiled chicken/ hamburger and rice. If not available, you can just give small frequent meals (3-4 meals/day rather than 1-2 meals/day). If any diarrhea is noted, you can also give 1-2 teaspoons of canned pumpkin with the meals. The extra fiber helps firm up loose stool and promote normal colon motility.
4. This will usually resolve the signs in 2-3 days if a non-specific gastroenteritis.

If that does not help, then bloodwork and x-rays may be indicated to rule out other causes and getting an exam and work up would be ideal.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, thank you.

You're welcome.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will this be $28.00 in addition to the $15.00?

No, it should just be the initial cost. I don't really deal with the financial side of this site, though.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can we continue to text?

Yeah. Please let me know any other questions you have.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did I miss your reply to earlier questions? I don't see your reply.

It's up there in the thread.

I can re-post it

Here ya go....

2. dietary indiscretion
3. foreign body obstruction
5. organ/ endocrine abnormality
6. cancer in older dogs

This is what I would do for now:

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Prince is 7 lbs, for the 0.25mg is 1.75 how do I give that via teaspoon or what is your suggestion? His food he is eating is Cesar Rotisserie Chicken Flavor and spring vegetables garnish, real chicken is the 1st ingredient (that'a listed on the bag). Is that ok?

In that case, I would give 1/4 of a 10 mg tab. You can round up some.

You can continue to offer Cesar, that would be fine.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. He seems to have settled down and trying to rest now.What about the not barking?

That may just be due to nausea and GI discomfort. That should normalize once the nausea goes away.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
For two days not barking?

It's a little strange. I guess I don't have a good reason for the decreased barking. That's not a typical sign of anything specific.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Anything I can do or try to make him bark?

I don't think so. I would just try to get the GI stuff under control and the leg issue under control. Treat the things you can identify first.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok

Take care.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The problems I spoke with you about cleared up. Thank you.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian