Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I woke up just now to my dog having vomited and pooped in my…

Customer Question
I woke up just...

I woke up just now to my dog having vomited and pooped in my bedroom which never happens. I cleaned it up and noticed he was laying down. He didn't get up at all which I was cleaning up the mess. I talked to him after clean up and he's just laying still with his eyes open, breathing heavily and continued to cramp up like he's trying to poop. Some more diarrhea has occurred. He's not getting up or lifting his head at all

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

He's a 12 yr old dog. He's had a history of "garbage gut" but he hasn't eaten anything that we're aware. He watch him closely. He was outside for his bathroom break last at about midnight. He went to bed normally

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What did the vomit and stool look like?

Can he keep anything down?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?