Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog is shedding an insane amount, no bald spots so no cause…

Customer Question
Dog is shedding an insane...
Dog is shedding an insane amount, no bald spots so no cause for concern but is their any at home remedies to help?Also he is a very high anxiety dog, is there anything to naturally and safely add to his diet to help this daily anxiety?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 3 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

Sometimes shedding comes from an ailment such as a thyroid problem so I would keep health in mind and maybe do some blood tests.

To strengthen the skin and coat you can try adding some coconut oil to the daily diet and I will direct you to a link that goes over the dosing per pound of body weight. http://coconut oil dosinghttp://sitstay.com/blog/coconut-oil-for-dogs

As for anxiety, you can try over the counter melatonin as this helps with that, depending on the type of anxiety you are seeing.

http://Melatonin found in drug stores by vitamins http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/melatonin-melatonex/page1.aspx

There is also a DAP collar or diffuser for the home that is calming.

https://www.chewy.com/s?dept=all&query=calming+collar&gclid=Cj0KCQiAp8fSBRCUARIsABPL6JafsjVS0imfXiPrSP8zzP0eMSanwQfQ_BQnxS_4p9OhtkTAK0pSORUaAmedEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Also he keeps getting yeast infections in his ears. Is there anything I can do to help prevent him from getting them so freaking only or to help them go away faster?

You can get some Zymox and treat accordingly.

zymox https://www.chewy.com/zymox-otic-pet-ear-treatment/dp/54784

I'm just following up on our conversation about Hammer. How is everything going?

DakotaSouthFive
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant