Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Eats well but is losing alotnof weight. He is also getting…

Customer Question
Eats well but is...

Eats well but is losing alotnof weight. He is also getting hard for him to get up. His stool is solid. I see no signs of vomiting, diaherria. Concerned he is 15 yrs old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Well he had a looks like a scrap on his leg took him to the vet clinic and they said it was nothing serious it was called something with lickatious or something like that. And put him on steroids and a genacid solution but then he was already losing weight. He also said that from last shots he gave him last year he only lost a pound. But to keep an eye on him if any changes.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry to learn your dog is losing weight. I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he drinking more than usual?

2- Is he eating the usual amount of food?

3- What breed is he?

He is drinking the same I believe. Yes the same or a little more. He is a siberian Husky.

Friend, it is common when dogs are getting older to lose some weight and this usually happens when they are less active because of their age or arthritis. If he is having a hard time getting up it sounds like he is suffering from arthritis. However, there are other medical conditions that need to be ruled out like kidney or liver disease, tumors, etc. to name a few causes. Unfortunately, on history only I will be able to determine if this is related to aging or does he have an underlying medical condition, I am sorry. In this case, I would recommend a hands-on examination with your family veterinarian, blood work, and fecal analysis as an initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime, you can start him on a supplement called Cosequin (glucosamine) which will help if he is suffering from arthritis. You can buy Cosequin over the counter in any pet store, give at label dose.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian