Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My eight year old west highland terrier got into a bag of…

Customer Question
My eight year old...

My eight year old west highland terrier got into a bag of dog food. I'm not sure how much she's eaten. She's very uncomfortable in her stomach feels very tight. What should I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the terrier will be able to digest that. What is the terrier's name?

Maggie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maggie?

She's very alert wagging her tail even but she's whining a lot and can't seem to settle

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am sorry to hear that your dog is not feeling well. I am concerned about what is called food bloat (CLICK HERE) and if there is no change in the next few hours please consider a veterinary er to treat his symptoms and ensure this isn't becoming life threatening

If your dog ingested the food within the last few hours then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

If some of the food is still in her stomach it will help relieve the discomfort but I still am worried about this if there is no vomiting

Reasons to consider a veterinary er

- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration

- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it

- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable

- Swollen abdomen

- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest

- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5

- No interest in food for 24+ hours

- No urination for 12+ hours

- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour

- Productive coughing

- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress

I hope this makes sense, I am worried about the current symptoms and if there is no vomiting then please consider the veterinary er to rule out food bloat

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian