Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

8 year old golden golden. been throwing up for 6 weeks now.

Customer Question
8 year old golden...

8 year old golden golden. been throwing up for 6 weeks now. been to the vet 3 times and had proceedure to see her tummy. too much vile for then to see. had antibiotics. now she will hardly eat at all. 1800.00$ and know noth8ng at all. Told she will have to go to specialist out of our town. not sure what to do.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the Golden eat anything unusual?

Not that we know of. Possibly a food in a plastic zip loc bag. her daughter is with us we thought it was her? always has eaten grass when she was younger. messes yes but we can live with. vomit is green and slimley. worred because she has hardly eaten in two days. vometing not as often. loosing weight dramatically.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Golden's name?

Ceder

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ceder?

Well loved. were sad and worried. concermed. had pupies 4 years ago. was thin after giving birth. got fat. now she is thiner than then. always been healthy. tries food but spits it out. tring broth now she does not want that. poop is runny and dark. still drinking water.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 day by:
1/8/2018
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 month ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that none of our other Experts have reached out to you before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
not so great. yesterday she ate a bit. Today she wont eat anything.
Getting very slim.

Is she on any medication currently?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no. We have been giving her gravel. half pill in the evening. still gets sick by 4 am. has no intrest in any food. water sometimes.

I'm sorry, gravel?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
we were told it was ok.

Do you mean Gravol? Dimenhydrinate?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
quater tablet. originally from the vet she had cerenia. thats when she started to stop eating
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
at 70$ per pill we were told gravol would help.

That's a very high price tag for a single tablet Gravol. The average cost internationally is less than $1 tab USD. Dimenhydrinate is typically used in cases of motion sickness and not nausea. Additionally, this medication should be available in your area over the counter. Here's an example: https://www.canadadrugsonline.com/ViewshoppingCart.aspx I am wondering if this is the same medication they prescribed. Can you share a picture of the prescription label?

This is cerenia. So, it sounds like you've giving cerenia and gravol. The way it was written above it sounded like gravol was sold to you at $70/tablet which is very high.

Have any other medications aside from the cerenia and gravol been tried?

Has your vet performed bloodwork? If so, do you have a copy to share?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
here are a few of the pages from the vet.
1515463464267159540705.jpg1515463...jpg15154635499061363812915.jpg1515463...jpg1515463598943702376793.jpg1515463...jpg15154636400091080641648.jpg1515463...jpg15154636687451795647768.jpg1515463...jpg

It looks like they have performed a CBC. Do you know if a chemistry was performed? A pancreatic profile?

Were any abdominal diagnostics performed such as ultrasound?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian