Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is a 22 lb rat terrier that over the past few months has…

Customer Question
He is a 22...

He is a 22 lb rat terrier that over the past few months has had patches of his fur come out. It started when he gnawed at his paws. I treated with apple cider vinegar and as if a yeast infection with monistat and it seemed to clear bit but then I thought an allergy and bought Vets Best shampoo, supplements and spray for allergies. It got much much better and I thought we had it cured. then just a few days ago it started up again with patches of fur coming out in little tufts. I guess it is vet time for sure but I have been hoping and trying to fix it mself w/o the outrrageous vet cost. Sigh. I am sick that he is uncomfortable. I read that it could very well be mange? The photos appear similar. What causes mange? He is an indoor dog and I just am at a loss.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?

Apologies for the poor tt I am rather stressed that my sweet rat terrier is in discomfort

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Bubba

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Where exactly on his body is the hair loss?

Where is he chewing and scratching on his body now?

Is he on a flea preventative every month? If so, which one?

Any areas of redness, scaling, crusting, pimples or other sores on the skin? If so, where?

Where exactly on his body is the hair loss? Mostly along the side of his bodyWhere is he chewing and scratching on his body now? He really isn;t.Is he on a flea preventative every month? If so, which one? No..he is an indoor dog therefore I have never used oneAny areas of redness, scaling, crusting, pimples or other sores on the skin? If so, where? Yes..along side of his body mainly
I do not wish to call and spend even more money without any semblance of help...i asked for a refund of the $19 as this is becoming very frustrating and not handled professionally in my humble opinion. PLEASE refund my paypal back the $19 you charged. That is NOT what was indicated..it was indicated th tit would be $5 initially.

Thanks for the information. As mentioned previously, I do not send those phone call requests. It is the website that does that, but you can always decline it. I do not make phone calls anyway. The $5 is just a good faith deposit. The opinions from vets do cost more than that. I am sorry that was not made more clear. I don't even see the information the website sends, but there does tend to be some confusion to that for some reason. We can still continue this if you like, or I can send this to the moderators to close the question and issue a refund. Your choice.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian