Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog has been acting as though he has been choking 4 months…

Customer Question
Dog has been acting...

Dog has been acting as though he has been choking 4 months he has a 80 lb English Staffordshire. He has a good appetite bowel movements have been good, and he is alert. He is almost 13 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?

Shamrock also known as fluffy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

He is alert and seems happy. Except when choking

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Okay told you everything I can think of

I'm sorry to hear that Shamrock (Fluffy) has a cough and I understand that you are concerned about him.

A cough simply means he is experiencing airway irritation.

A cough can be related to heart disease, including heartworm, lung disease secondary to a viral, bacterial, fungal or parasitic infection, inflammatory lung disease, or tracheal irritation due to a bacterial, viral or fungal infection, or cancer (primary or spread from other areas in the body).

In a young dog infectious disease is by far the most common cause. Of those kennel cough or infectious tracheobronchitis is one of the most common causes. Because he has been coughing for 4 months however a viral infection, including kennel cough would be highly unlikely.

At his age I would be most worried about heart disease, primary lung disease, a fungal infection (particularly Valley Fever if you live in the southwest US), or cancer.

You fellow should see his veterinarian for an exam, a heartworm test, radiographs of his chest and neck, a complete blood count, possibly fungal titers, and possibly sedation and scoping of his pharynx and trachea.

In the meantime make sure he gets plenty of fluids, lots of rest as the more active he is then more she will cough, and eats well. Add warm water or low salt chicken broth to his food. The better hydrated he is the better he will feel and the thinner his respiratory secretions will be.

You can take him into the bathroom with you when you take a hot bath or shower so he can breathe the steam which is soothing to his airways and thins mucous, making it easier for him to breathe. You can also use a humidifier in the room he sleeps in.

If the cough is very bad such that he cannot sleep you can use human cough/cold medications with Guaifenesin (an expectorant) and Dextromethorphan (a cough suppressant) only such as Benylin or Robitussin DM can help. Give 1 teaspoon per 20 to 25 pounds every 6 to 8 hours.

If he is running a fever this is almost certainly a contagious infection and if he is running a fever and becomes lethargic then an examination is definitely warranted as pneumonia may have developed.

Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Sorry about the offer of a phone call. That is an automatic, site generated offer that many licensed veterinarians are unable to fulfill. Many states/province licensing boards do not allow veterinarians to communicate via phone calls, unless they have previously physically examined a pet. The states and Province I am licensed in have that restriction. I could lose my license for doing so. If you would like you can reply and ask any follow-up questions regarding my response and I will be happy to respond to them here.

My friends dog and her credit card number

I'm sorry I'm not clear what you are trying to say.

I answer the questions posted. I don't have anything to do with charges. If you'd like I can ask customer service to discuss the account, and your charges, with you. Make sure there is an accurate email associated with the account so they can contact you. If you do not hear from them here is the phone number for customer service: 1(###) ###-####/p>

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian