Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Its my pit male I have a little chahwahwa and he is crying…

Customer Question
Its my pit bull...

Its my pit bull male I have a little chahwahwa and he is crying following her and will not eat it sleep and will not stop she is not in heat but he's acting like she is.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

No lethargy he's bothering her and crying and cleaning her constantly and she is not in heat.my pit bull is a 2 year old uncut male she is a little chahwawa that he's following around he won't eat much and won't go to sleep cause he is all about her and the stuff is driving us nutty what can I do to calm him and why is being like this?

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Rico is the male and little girl is tinkerbell

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rico?

No he's a healthy 2 year old Colby pit.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. When was her last heat cycle? As far as what you can do, I would recommend giving him Benadryl (1mg/lb) tonight and keep them separate. The Benadryl is a safe sedative you can use and it is over the counter.
She isn't in heat well doesn't look like it but maybe just didn't swell up allot.
She could be just starting to come into hear before her vulva starts to look swollen and the bleeding starts to become heavy. Male dogs can tell a lot sooner than we can because of the pheromones a female dog emits that we can't detect.
I have tried benadryl doesn't hell him when he's this way.
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'll follow up for Dr. Schmidt for you. I agree with her that Tinkerbell is in proestrus - the first stage of her heat cycle. Regretfully, there are no drugs short of a heavy tranquilizer or anesthetic that will stop a male from chasing after a female in heat. Your options at this time are to have Rico's vet prescribe a phenothiazine tranquilizer such as acepromazine, temporarily remove one or other of your dogs from your home, or have Tinkerbell spayed. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian