Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is half Chihuahua and Yorkie and she has this rash…

Customer Question
Hello my dog is...

Hello my dog is half Chihuahua and Yorkie and she has this rash like thing on her belly where her nipples are. This started 3 months ago and then we switched her food which helped and it went away. We been giving her the same food now and it has came back worser than ever. I wish I can show you it would be much easier to show then explain. But it has grown spots and bumps and it's red. She keeps on licking and biting at the area and it is annoying her alot. Her skin began peeling down there and she won't leave it alone. Please get back to me I'm thinking it could be an allergy of some sort.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?

Her name Is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Nena?

The rash has brown spots in one area in the middle of her nipples and right now it's winter time and we have the heater on at the house.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of this area to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

Ok

The photo reveals a superficial spreading pyoderma (bacterial skin infection). Treatment at this time should consist of an antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin for 3-4 weeks and 1 week past clinical signs. Bathing twice weekly in a chlorhexidine- or benzoyl peroxide-containing shampoo should hasten resolution of the infection. The antibiotic must be prescribed by an attending vet. You can find the shampoos over the counter where dog supplies are sold.

You're correct to consider an underlying allergic dermatitis - atopy (allergies to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites, etc.) and food intolerance are considered. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Well thank you for your time :) Lucky we have some left over Metronidazole from when she was sick before and will give her that as it treats her skin as well. I will follow her bath routine as well with that shampoo until it goes away completely.

Metronidazole isn't a good choice for a pyoderma...which is usually caused by Staphylococcus. You might be able to resolve this with shampooing alone, however. You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian