Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our dog has blood in his mouth that we think is a tongue…

Customer Question
Our dog has blood...

Our dog has blood in his mouth that we think is a tongue cut

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

He is licking himself continually for the last hour. We look in his mouth and can see that the blood is coming from there.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Mr Magoo is about 8yr and is am Amstaf.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Mr?

I said 8yrs in the prior response.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mr?

He is in good health. Should we try administerung Bendrl?ii

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry to hear about mr. Magoo. I am working on a response right now and will be back shortly.
the tough thing about this situation is that unless you are able to thoroughly examine the inside of his mouth it's difficult to say where the blood is coming from however the tongue is a likely possibility obviously as well as the gum tissue. I will say if the gingiva or gums are bleeding it tends to resolve itself pretty quickly. Whereas a cut or laceration on the tongue can bleed a lot and can take a bit longer to resolve on its own. If it's a small cut then the bleeding should stop or decrease over time and you may not have to take him in to be evaluated. However if the bleeding does not stop and is continuous and extensive then I would highly recommend that he be examined and treated for his wound. Unfortunately there's not a lot that you can do at home to stop the bleeding. Now if you're concerned about an allergy or some sort of reaction, then an antihistamine could help with that but it will not resolve the bleeding.
Benadryl is dosed at 1 mg per pound. So if he is 50 pounds he gets 50 mg of Benadryl or two adult Benadryl which are 25 mg.
Please make sure that you don't see any other wounds on him. And also make sure that his gum color is nice and pink and that he is not weak or lethargic. If you notice any of these symptoms it is another reason for him to go in to be examined and treated.
I hope that helps. I wish there was more that I could do to help you obviously. The nice thing about this website is it does give you some direction as far as what is considered urgent and not urgent and how to proceed with a present issue. If you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5-star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time. Even after the rating this conversation will stay open for about a week. Please keep me posted. Sincerely ***** *****
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian