Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have a 11 month old Shitzu and just discovered that she…

Customer Question
We have a 11...

We have a 11 month old Shitzu and just discovered that she ate 25 Hershey kisses!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Ziva

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/6/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Hello again, I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How many hours has it been since she ate the kisses?

2- Was it milk or dark chocolate?

3- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

She ate them within the last hour. Milk chocolate. Yes we have 3% Hydrogen peroxide

How much does she weigh?

about 15 lbs.

Is she showing any symptoms?

No

Friend, 25 kisses milk chocolate not likely to be fatal to a 15 lbs dog, but, it can cause symptoms related to chocolate toxicity. I would try to get her to vomit with hydrogen peroxide 3%. This is what you can do:

1- Move quickly and induce vomiting. To induce vomiting give her 1/2 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally.

2- Allow her to walk for a minute and move her belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If she does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If she does not vomit after the 3rd dose or you do not see the chocolate in the vomit, observe her for the next 24 hours. If she becomes hyperactive, muscle tremors, changes in respiration, etc. have her checked immediately by ER veterinarian, these are symptoms that could progress to life threatening seizures or cardiac arrhythmias. If no symptoms after 24 hours (especially the first 12 hours) unlikely for any symptoms to develop.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian