Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We think our 8 week old yorkie's blood sugar is low. We've…

Customer Question
We think our 8...

We think our 8 week old yorkie's blood sugar is low. We've given her a teaspoon of honey about 15 minutes ago but haven't seen any results yet. We have had a lot going on today with moving and have just noticed that she hasn't eaten since her early morning meal and has not eaten anything since. she normally eats 4 times a day with her first meal being at 6 and her last meal around 8 pm at 1/8 cup of food per meal. what else can we do for her and should we bring her in for treatment

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the Yorkie will be able to digest that. What is the Yorkie's name?

Precious

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Precious?

Nothing that we are aware of

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/6/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I'm dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am sorry to hear about Precious. It sounds like you have a lot going on. I'm working on a response and will be back very shortly.
I'm really impressed that you can go to think about hypoglycemia or low blood sugar and small breed dogs. This can become a major problem especially after not eating regularly. Of course I could be something else going on but I think that was the first logical thing to address. So I would redose her with the honey and also maybe try to give her a small meal. Then wait about 15 to 30 minutes and see if you notice any changes with her behavior. I would also check her gum color and make sure that her gums are nice and pink and try to assess hydration. You can evaluate hydration by checking her gums and making sure they're not sticky and you can also try to lift up the skin between her shoulder blades and see if it snaps back right away or if it's low to go back down. If that makes sense. If after the additional honey and the meal she is still not back to her normal self and is very lethargic, then you may want to take her in just to make sure that there's no other issues with her. Especially since she is so young and so little. I know that things have been really busy with you today and we would just want to make sure that she didn't get into something or that there is not a bigger problem.
I apologize for my typos I meant to say I am really impressed that you thought about hypoglycemia...
Is impossible on this website, obviously because I'm not examining her, to determine exactly what is going on. But what I will say is if she continues to be extremely lethargic and doesn't respond to the honey or the meal then we have to make sure that she is stable and otherwise doing okay. Hence my recommendation for an exam and possible blood work if she is not returning to her normal behavior. I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions I am happy to help. If you are satisfied with my assistance, 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time. Even after the rating we can continue this conversation for about a week. So keep me posted. Sincerely ***** *****
How are things going?
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian