Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I was watching a friend’s older dog. She started drooling a…

Customer Question
I was watching a...

I was watching a friend’s older dog. She started drooling a little bit but was & in her normal routine from what I gathered for older dog slowing down. Owner was notified of drooling & a little lack of appetite 2 days before their return. I unfortunately did not notice the dogs lip was puffy even though I hand fed her & wiped her mouth -she seemed to have same look about her, older & tired & when owner got home dog was rushed to ER w/an abscess under her chin. I feel horrible but really did not see the appearance up to the day owner returned. Owner is of course shocked I dudn’t Notice, as am I. Can an abscess grow in just a day?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your friend's dog?

Dog was constipated for about 3 days. The dog already went to the ER sns resting w/owner-thank you. . I was just looking for signs I missed. Thank you.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/6/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry that this situation happen to you. I'm working on a response right now and will be back
Okay so don't beat yourself up! There are a few things that come to mind about the situation and based on how concerned you are right now about the situation that you decided to post something on the site, I can't imagine that you didn't keep a close eye on her. So here are my thoughts.
1. She is not your pet and so it is sometimes difficult to determine what is Normal and abnormal about a specific pet especially when you don't spend every day with her. Sometimes people don't even notice changes with their own pet so it is not surprising that you maybe didn't notice a subtle change with her muzzle.
2. She was otherwise acting normal except for the drooling and so you didn't suspect that there was anything abnormal going on. In addition you contacted the owner immediately when the drooling started. So that was a really positive thing and demonstrated that you were paying very close attention to her.
3. These abscesses can develop quickly. So they start out kind of slow growing and then all of a sudden there's a big pocket! So the fact that there was some swelling in the days that she was with you and it wasn't noticeable, is not a huge surprise to me. These things can pop up very quickly. It's just unfortunate that it happened while you were taking care of her.
I really wouldn't stress about this situation. I know that you feel bad but in all sincerity these things can pop-up very very quickly. And many owners miss it even on their own pets. You did all that you could to notify them about the changes that you saw with her. You're not expected to do a physical exam on their dog and even if you did or you still may have missed it.
I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any questions. I really hope that you feel better about the situation because I think you probably did a really good job caring for their pet. If you are satisfied with my assistance, five-star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time. Even after the rating we can continue this conversation for about a week, so keep me posted. Sincerely ***** *****