Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My shih tzu-poodle mix is lethargic and is not eating.

My shih tzu-poodle mix...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Jaxxson is a male and he is six years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jaxxson?

He's been really healthy -- he eats nothing but dog food, weighs about 15 pounds, and all his vaccinations are up to date. He has experienced brief periods of lethargy in the past, and they always have resolved. This has been going on for two days now. When I put him on the leash, he wags his tail and goes outside to walk. He did appear to have some leg pain yesterday, but it isn't apparent now. He just won't eat. Drinks a little water. And stays on the couch.

1/7/2018
Kelly Jones
Kelly Jones, Dog Veterinarian

Hi my name is***** am a veterinarian and can certainly help you with your question. I'm sorry Jaxxson is not feeling well. Have you tried feeding him a bland diet? You can make one at home with a 2:1 mixture of white rice to chicken or beef.

He might have a condition called pancreatitis which is inflammation of the pancreas that causes lethargy and not eating. You can also administer Pepcid AC (famotidine) 0.5 tablet every 12 hours to help with any acid reflux.

If he isn't feeling better in another day, then he should go to his veterinarian for additional diagnostics like bloodwork.

Kelly Jones
Kelly Jones, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you. He ate a bit of his dry food this evening, and drank more water. I will try the bland diet as well as the Pepcid AC. Thank you for your help.

You are very welcome. I'm glad he ate a little.

If you don't mind rating the question, it ensures that I am compensated.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Kelly Jones