Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He was yelping in pain and now is keeping his rear end up…

Customer Question
He was yelping in...

He was yelping in pain and now is keeping his rear end up when he lies down. I took him to the vet but they are closed, and he seemed fine. I took him for a walk and he had a stool and pee'd and then he looked fine. Happy eyes wagging tail, but now again, his rear is in the air???

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he is 4 years old. He is a miniature golden doodle...he weighs about 22 lbs. and comes to my knees.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chase?

He has been eating wierd stuff throughout the holidays from guests and kids feeding him things he usually doesn't have. I"m just worried because I've never seen him do this before.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/6/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear Chase is worrying you.

Can he sit normally; put weight on his rear end to sit down on it?

One thing I would check for would be an impacted or infected anal gland. These glands are just inside the anus, and can be very painful if inflamed or infected.

He seems to sit ok and walks ok, but when he lies down his butt is in the air...
He seems to sit ok and walks ok, but when he lies down his butt is in the air...He acts fine other than that. I was also concerned about his yelping as well...

He must have pain somewhere. If I could examine him, I would check his anal glands, his spine, hips. The yelping can be seen with back/spine pain.

Do you have any medication for pain previously prescribed for him? If not, and if he is eating, you could try give one low dose or baby aspirin (81 mg) with food up to twice daily to see if that helps with these symptoms.

Do you think I need to take him to an emergeny vet??

If this keeps up, it might be a good idea. If the aspirin does not help, or if this gets worse, or if he won't eat, he should be checked by a veterinarian.

Do not give anything other than a medication previously prescribed for him, or aspirin. No Aleve, Advil, etc.

Please let me know if this is helpful and how he is doing and what other questions I can answer.

I hope you are able to see my responses; please let me know how he is doing.

How is Chase doing? I have not heard back from you.

Please let me know if this was helpful and if I can answer anything else.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?