Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is licking skin on knee till it gets raw and hairless ...

Customer Question
He is licking skin...

He is licking skin on knee till it gets raw and hairless ... wrapped other parts and it slowly healed but cant wrap knee where it will stay fixed. Our vet wont find out what is wrong just treats affected areas

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Smokey .. 6 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Smokey

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Smokey?

Not to my knowledge

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
small dog 28 lbs mixed breed
1/7/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Robert Schwarb,
 replied 7 months ago
Robert Schwarb

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'm a licensed veterinarian. If you are available over the next 15 minutes or so I would like to try to help.

Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 7 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

What did you use on the other parts besides just wrapping them?

Has your vet done any skin scrapings?

Does the area smell musty or have an odor?

You state it is the knee. Can you look at this photo and tell me which leg it is and what it is labeled for me.

https://www.topdoghealth.com/map/orthopedic-condition/dog9.gif

Also what breed is smokey?

It is his hind leg at the knee on the front ... he keeps licking it until raw .... an area about the size of a small donut. He is a mixed breed a noticeable Lab trait but small
It is his hind leg at the knee on the front ... he keeps licking it until raw .... an area about the size of a small donut. He is a mixed breed a noticeable Lab trait but small.... no scrapings at vet

Thanks for that information. It is helpful. I'm typing up your response now and it may take some time to type the answer. I don't want you to think that I am not here.

The licking that a dog does is often due to an underlying conditions such as allergies, mange mites, ringworm, a dermatitis such as staph or yeast dermatitis or a behavioral issue. Unfortunately, mange mites require a skin scraping to rule out and I really thing it would have spread. Ringworm also tends to enlarge when left untreated so that is not a likely cause either and it is easily diagnosed by vets. Now a dermatitis is very likely since anytime a dog is licking a particular place it remains wet and is a breeding ground for the yeast normally present on the skin to overgrow which in turn also leads to itchiness and more licking.

We can treat a yeast dermatitis with miconazole cream on the affected area. Miconazole cream is available at your local pharmacy as an over the counter medication. Use it on the area several times a day cleaning the area with a mild betadine solution first. They make a no bite collar that will prevent your dog from chewing and licking the knee until it has time to heal. See one here:

https://www.amazon.com/Total-Pet-Health-Inflatable-Collars/dp/B00BJAGAPE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1515381719&sr=8-3&keywords=no+bite+collar

Now some dogs who have a history of licking and chewing their legs often have a history of allergies or thyroid issues. If your vet has not tested for a thyroid condition I would have that done. I'd also have imaging done to rule out a problem with the knee that might cause a dog to worry the area much in the manner you indicate. It might be a luxating patella or a knee injury but it should be checked out just as a thyroid issue especially if you think he has lab in him. Labs are prone to thyroid issues.

Finally some dogs develop a condition called Acral lick dermatitis or lick granuloma. You can read about this here:

http://www.lbah.com/word/canine/lick-granuloma/

You can read about some treatment methods on this site:

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/treatment-of-lick-granuloma/

If you have any further questions concerning this matter or need clarification, please do not hesitate to respond. At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 6 months ago

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.