Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is in heat (1,5 year old) and all of a sudden she…

Customer Question
My dog is in...

My dog is in heat (1,5 year old) and all of a sudden she can't stand on her hind legs anymore. She drags them behind her.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

I don't know if it hurts, she just deon't seem to be able to stand on her hind legs

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?

Zena She is a Staffordshire bull terrier

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Zena?

She is in heat for the first time and 1,5 years old/

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/6/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Zena. When both hind legs are paretic (weak)/paralyzed, a myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) such as intervertebral disk disease (a "slipped disk"), a congenital (present at birth) spinal defect, fibrocartilagenous embolism (an interruption in the blood supply to the spinal cord), or, less commonly, polyradiculoneuritis, or tick paralysis has arisen. Her condition isn't related to her heat period. Her vet will want to perform a complete physical and neurologic exam on Zena in an attempt to clarify why she's lost the use of her hind legs. Assessing her nociception (deep pain perception) in her hind legs is essential when assessing her prognosis for return to function. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian