Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our 7 year old greyhound limps on her left leg. She is an…

Our 7 year old greyhound...
Our 7 year old greyhound limps on her left leg. She is an absolute wimp so if it hurt she would be howling. X-rays are negative so no broken bones or osteosarcoma. No pain when manipulating the leg, toes or shoulder. It is almost like it has become habitual. Any ideas
1/7/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It's important to recognizedthat cervical (neck) myelopathies (spinal cord disorders) also need to be considered when front limb lameness is present. Pain radiating down from the spine (a dorsal root signature sign) can result in lameness. X-rays of the cervical spine may be informative although MRI might be necessary in some cases. Additionally, a heretofor undected rotator cuff injury should be considered as well. Often overlooked, these soft tissue injuries - biceps tenosynovitis, supraspinatus calcifying tendinopathy, collateral ligament tears - can be identified by careful palpation/hyperflexion/hyperextension techinques best performed by a specialist veterinary orthopedic surgeon whom can be found here: www.acvs.org/

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
With any of the above, wouldn't she demonstrate pain. She doesn't whine while walking or running. Doesn't show pain with palpation/hyperflexion/hyperextension. Occasionally while simply laying down she will whine. She is a "30 MPH Couch Potato". She will run laps in the yard without limping or indicating pain and then stand there holding her left paw up off the ground.

Yes, but a vet might have to be quite "rough" to elicit that pain. There's little question that something has been missed and it's structural. She's holding that paw up because that limb is hurting her. Dogs vocalizing upon lying down are often osteoarthritic and so any X-rays that have been taken should be reviewed by a specialist veterinary radiologist who might spot pathological changes in the joint(s) missed by a generalist vet. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Vet. Radiologist Report
Patient: Johnson, Desi Owner: Michel Study: Plain Film/X-Ray : 4 :
Shoulder Left, Humerus Left, Antebrachium Left
Sex: Female, Spayed Age: 9y Weight: 75.00 Species: Canine Breed:
Greyhound Patient ID: desiHistory: grade 2/5 lameness, left front, non responsive to adequan or
carprofen, 2 month durationRequest Date: 01/04/18 11:49 am Images Received: 01/04/18 10:10 am
Request Date: 01/04/18 11:49 amRADIOGRAPHIC FINDINGS
There are 7 views available of the forelimb. These are presumed to be of
the left forelimb based on the history. No markers are present to
indicate laterality. No cortical or medullary abnormalities are
identified in the scapula, humerus, radius, ulna, metacarpal bones or
phalanges. There is a small osteophyte on the lateral aspect of the
distal 4th metacarpal bone. No degenerative changes are seen in the
shoulder, elbow, or carpus. The medial coronoid process of the ulna is
distinct and normal in shape. There is good congruity of the elbow
joints. No obvious soft tissue swelling is identified. No abnormalities
are identified in the cervical spine that is imaged.RADIOGRAPHIC CONCLUSIONS
Very mild osteoarthritis of the 4th metacarpophalangeal joint of the left
forelimb. No other bony abnormalities are identified in the left
forelimb. A radiographic cause for the clinical signs is not identified.
Soft tissue, ligamentous or tendinous injury may be possible. Correlation
with physical exam findings may be helpful. If clinical signs persist,
radiographs could be repeated in 2 to 3 weeks to evaluate for any
progressive bony changes.

Thank you. Give me a moment to review this...

The most important "conclusion" is that "Soft tissue, ligamentous or tendinous injury may be possible." I would have a specialist veterinary orthopedic surgeon carefully palpate Desi's left shoulder. If the entire cervical spine weren't imaged it should be. No abnormalities were seen in the cervical spine that was included in Desi's limb films, however.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks. We will do x-rays of cervical spine next.

You're welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Desi. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian