Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our one and half year old Yellow Lab, Rudy randomly has

Customer Question
Hi! Our one...

Hi! Our one and half year old Yellow Lab, Rudy randomly has drops of (undiluted) blood coming from his penis and I am very concerned. His energy and mood seem normal as well as urination and stools. He was neutered when he was a year old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Overall health is excellent, was boarded at a kennel for 4 nights last week and was bit by a tick December 26

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/6/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok thank you. I have never done this before and am nervous how much I am going to be charged.

I am very sorry that Rudy has had drops of undiluted blood dripping from his penis.

There are many reasons to have blood in the urine or bleeding from the penis/prepuce.

We often think of an infection but also crystals or stones in the urinary tract, masses on the penis or prepuce or in the urinary or reproductive tract or clotting disorders are possible causes. Because he is an un-neutered male prostatic cysts or an abscess or a prostatic tumor are possible causes as well, but we generally see those in older males, not a youngster like Rudy. Because he was bitten by a tick tick borne diseases that affect clotting is another possibility we must consider.

Are his gums and tongue white, pale pink or bubble gum pink? If they are nice and pink then he likely hasn't lost enough blood to make him anemic and that is a good sign.

Is he bleeding only when he passes urine (is he constantly straining and dribbling urine) or does the bleeding seem independent of passing urine?

If the bleeding is when he passes urine then concerns would be a genitourinary tract infection, crystals or stones in his urinary tract, a clotting abnormality or a mass in his urinary or reproductive tract.

If the bleeding is independent of him passing urine the concerns would be trauma to his penis (rough breeding), a mass in his prostate, prepuce or on his penis, or a clotting abnormality.

You can try to gently retract his prepuce over his penis to look for a mass or cut either in his prepuce or on his penis. Because he hasn't been neutered and if his penis and prepuce look normal he may have prostatic disease. If you can see a mass or a cut on his penis or prepuce then a cold compress on it, followed by gently it patting dry and then applying some corn starch or flour to help form a clot may stop the bleeding. Then he should see his regular veterinarian for treatment.

If he doesn't have a visible mass or cut and he were my patient I'd start with a urinalysis with culture and radiographs of his abdomen to look at his kidneys and bladder for signs of stones and the size and shape of his prostate. I would also check him for a clotting problem via a clotting profile and tick borne diseases.

If money was very tight and there were signs of infection on the urinalysis then an antibiotic prescription for 10 to 14 days would be reasonable to start.

If I saw lots of crystals or abnormal looking cells on the urinalysis I'd warn the owner that things may be more serious.

And I'd recommend a recheck of his urine at the end of the antibiotic therapy. If there was still blood then radiographs or an ultrasound of his bladder/kidneys is needed.

If this is a prostatic infection I highly recommend that he be neutered once he feels a little better. When they are neutered and the effects of high testosterone are gone the prostate shrinks which helps prevent infections.

All you can do for him at home is encourage fluid intake to flush out his urinary tract. Add water or low salt beef or chicken broth to his food or feed him canned food to encourage eating and increase his fluid intake.

Give him ice cubes. Offer him fresh water frequently.

And make sure he gets out frequently to urinate.

If he is straining but unable to pass urine, is vomiting, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), has a tense, painful abdomen with gentle pressure, or his gums become very pale it is time for emergency veterinary care.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

I cannot see what you agreed to pay, I answer questions as they come up on the queue.

But when we are done here, and I have fully answered your question I can submit this to customer service and they can verify charges with you. Make sure they have an accurate email for you. Or you can call them once we have finished. The phone number for customer service is: 1(###) ###-####/p>

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Rudy is neutered
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian