Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has not had a bowel movement, post-neutering. Is

Customer Question
My dog has not...

My dog has not had a bowel movement, post-neutering. Is there a stool softener/laxative that I can give him to help? He is on anti-inflammatories and trazadone. Surgery was early Thursday morning.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Sirius, age 6

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sirius?

Not that I can think of. I want to be proactive with this before it becomes an emergency.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/6/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Poor Sirius, though this isn't uncommon post neutering as they can be a bit sore bearing down and some of the medications we use can slow gut movement. In any case, we'd want to start some supportive care to help him go. To start, you can offer a cup of cow's milk. The lactose in milk can be helpful at increasing gut movement to get stools passed. Another option would be OTC cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) as it works to lubricate the gut to facilitate the movement of gut contents (hard feces in this case) out of the rectum.

If we need a more aggressive treatment, we can also administer a few milliliters of a GI lubricant (ie Miralax, lactulose or food grade mineral oil) orally. These can be mixed into his food. Though if you have to give this via syringe, do so with care to avoid aspiration ( since that would cause problems we'd best avoid).

Furthermore, we can also try adding fiber (ie canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil mixed into a bit of canned food) to his diet. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. We offer these with wet food to ease him eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into him (as canned food is 35% water). I would also encourage him to drink as constipation can be complicated by dehydration. Make sure he has fresh water and you can even offer low sodium chicken broth if he won’t drink.

While you are doing this, I would advise that you monitor fecal output. Though if we use the above measures, but if you aren't seeing feces in the next 12-24 hours, or he begins to vomit, show belly pain, or worsens, then they should be evaluated locally as we may need to use an enema if he is severely impacted.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Thank you so much for your help!

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

*********************************

I aim to provide the best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) afterwards as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra fee for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**