Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has intermittent swelling on the area around her

Customer Question
nose. What could it be?...
My dog has intermittent swelling on the area around her nose. What could it be?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/6/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Thank you for the pics. It reveals an urticarial (hypersenstivity) reaction called angioedema - urticaria involving deeper layers of the skin. This is seen with food intolerance, envenomations, vaccinations, drugs, plants, and even environmental variables. An antihistamine such as Benadryl dosed at 1-2 mg per pound of body weight (maximum dose of 50 mg at any one time) every 8-12 hours is reasonable but if a positive response isn't seen or isn't lasting, her vet can inject your dog with an antihistaminic glucocorticoid (steroid) such as prednisolone and then send home the same drug to be given orally as need be. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I thought it might be an allergy, I’m just not sure to what. We haven’t changed her food and she is always supervised outside in our fenced in yard. We haven’t taken her anywhere outside our home recently.

Yes, it can be a challenge to find the offending allergen. Please note, however, that food intolerance can arise at any age and even when the same food has been fed for quite some time. The most common offending food allergens are beef, chicken, corn, wheat, eggs, rice, and soy. Food intolerance/allergy is addressed with prescription hypoallergenic diets. These special foods contain just one novel (rabbit, duck, e.g.) animal protein or proteins that have been chemically altered (hydrolyzed) to the point that her immune system doesn't "see" anything to be allergic to. The over the counter hypoallergenic foods too often contain proteins not listed on the label - soy is a common one - and these proteins would confound our evaluation of the efficacy of the hypoallergenic diet. The prescription foods are available from her vet. There are many novel protein foods and a prototypical hydrolyzed protein food is Hill’s Prescription Diet z/d ultra (a hydrolyzed protein diet is my preference because it avoids the possibility of my patient being intolerant to even a novel protein). A positive response is usually seen within a few weeks if we’ve eliminated the offending food allergen.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian