Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My friends boxer is 8 and she is pregnant....it's her first…

Customer Question
My friends boxer is...

My friends boxer is 8 and she is pregnant....it's her first and only pregnancy. she seemed to be in good health prior to this but I'm worried about her age

Veterinarian's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

She hasn't had any medical issues, she hasn't been seen by a vet in the last 5 years that I've known her except for routine shots.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I'

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/6/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now with regards ***** ***** friend's boxer, if she is in good health, then we'd not be overly worried here. She is of course older then we advise to mate but its her health that is key for her. There will of course be more risk of her losing the pups, of pups being born stillborn, or her having a smaller litter then she would have had in her younger years. But provided your friend takes good care of her, has a check up to make sure all is well with her and the pups (possibly check bloods to make sure organs are healthy and a scan to check for pups), and keeps a close eye during the birth (as she may need a C-section if she struggles at all) then she should be fine. Of course if she didn't want her to continue this pregnancy (or a health concern was found that would put her at risk), there would be scope to have her vet spay her and remove it at the same time.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

*********************************

I aim to provide the best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) afterwards as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra fee for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian