Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 5 month old puppy has soft stool on Tuesday and Wednesday…

Customer Question
My 5 month old...

My 5 month old puppy has soft stool on Tuesday and Wednesday and now diarrhea. She ate part of a toy on Wednesday night and vomited it up on Friday ealy am. Her stool firmed up yesterday but is back again. Last week she tested negative to Isopora on a recheck.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Dog name Lumen, toy was vomited up completely

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the puppy?

She is a Weimaraner and she also ate a mushroom cap on Friday on the walk

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/6/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Did they only test her for Isospora? Had she been treated for it?

Did she vomit the toy back up or is that still missing?

What does the diarrhea and vomit look like? Any blood?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

She was treated and her follow up test after antibiotics was negative
Toy is vomited up with what looked like saliva, no color
No blood in stool, stool is more yellow than brown with a little mucus
Gums pink moist
No pain or tension on abdomen

Good, I am glad to see that the toy was vomited up as blockage risks are always a worry when they eat things like this.

That said, for her to have had persisting loose stools does raise some concerns of a possible bacterial or viral gastroenteritis that has been missed at recheck, pancreatitis, or GI inflammation (from the recent Isospora in the lower GI and the toy in the upper). And of course, we cannot rule out these signs being from other issues especially if she is picking up things like wild mushrooms.

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle her stomach. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with a OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac))]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Afterwards, you can consider starting her on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset/diarrhea. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion.

Finally, if she is very loose, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of probiotics added in. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing her upset GI.

Overall, her signs do raise a few concerns but at this stage we'd want to use the above symptomatic care to see if we can reduce her signs. Though if they persist despite the above, we are best having her vet recheck her with a full stool sample analysis to look for those other concerns that we may also need to treat for to get her back feeling like herself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Thank you, ***** ***** This is my 3rd Weimaraner but first with loose stools so early in life

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad to be of help and wish you both the best. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

*********************************

I aim to provide the best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) afterwards as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra fee for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**