Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is pooping what looks like blood but is acting fine.

Customer Question
My dog is pooping...

My dog is pooping what looks like brown blood but is acting fine. He’s a Year and two months. We only feed him wet food because he throws up dry food.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

No just the wet food.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Charlie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Charlie?

He’s a miniature schnauzer

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/6/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

How long has he had these signs? Any fresh blood or black stool?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Can you take a photo of this for me to assess? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

The signs started last night around 8 clock. He’s been fine all night but this morning when we took him out he was still having the bloody poop. His gums are pink. His gums are sticky and moist. When I press on his stomach he’s in no pain. He’s thinks I’m playing. No he’s not eaten anything weird. He’s a picky eater since he was a puppy. He only likes wet food.
He’s eating and drinking water. Like there’s nothing wrong.
Hello? Is anyone there?

Hello again,

I do need a moment to read all you wrote and write my reply, but is there any chance of taking a photo of what Charlie is passing?

No I’m sorry we live in a neighborhood where we have to pick up and throw away our dogs poops. It’s a watery red brown diarrhea poop. He farts while pooping. He usually doesn’t do that. My mom just told me that she feed him chips and cookies last night.
We have other dogs and one of my other dogs, and our other dog has been jumping him. Could this be because sex?

Hello again,

Now the reason why I am keen to see what Charlie is passing is because with blood, its usually fresh/red or black not brown. To see it with a brownish tinge sounds like old blood which would make me concerned he might have an anal gland issue . That said, hemorrhage from the lower GI usually is a sign of hemorrhagic bacterial or viral infections, colitis (which may be the case if your mom was feeding things that he should not have been eating), can be secondary to some parasites/protozoa (ie giardia, coccidia, whipworms), or secondary to harmful ingestion.

With this in mind, we do need to tread with care here. Since you don't feel he has eaten something harmful, we can start supportive care. To start, we'd want him on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion. And those will be quite important since we cannot use anti-diarrheals if we have those hemorrhagic infectious issues. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to your normal diet.

Overall, his signs do raise some concerns here. It won't be from the other dogs harassing him but it is possible that this is infectious. So, we want to separate him from the others and start the above. If he hasn't been wormed in the past month we'd want to cover that base too. However, if you use these and he isn't settled within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, test a stool sample, and start fluids antibiotics to get him back feeling like himself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

.

Thank you very much.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

*********************************

Please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) afterwards as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra fee for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**