Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has a sore on her leg. It is a bit swollen and has…

Customer Question
My dog has a...

My dog has a sore on her leg. It is a bit swollen and has hair loss on the sore. she does not seem in pain but licks it. I was trying to see pictures to see how to treat it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Zoey. She is a rescue we got 7 years ago. She was maybe 3 or 5 (age unknown) and had not been treated well. She does not mix with other animals b/c she doesn't know how.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zoey?

Can't think of anything.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/6/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Zoey. Can you upload a photo(s) of to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

ok doing that now

Thank you. I'll watch for your next post.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

This sore is actually a skin tumor which won't respond to conservative (medical) care. It needs to be surgically excised and biopsied. Zoey's vet can needle aspirate it first and examine the aspirate microscopically to get an idea of how dangerous this tumor might be. My primary concern is a mast cell tumor which can cause the swelling you're seeing due to histamine released from such a tumor. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Ok, we will take Zoey to the vet. Thank you.

Sounds good. You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
We took our dog to the vet and a biopsy did not have to be performed. Internal meds and hydrocortisone is what was prescribed. I was quite worried after your diagnosis

That's good to hear. What was diagnosed? I have to leave my computer for a few hours but promise to reply as soon as I return if need be.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian