Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

He is a cavalier with diabetes and has recently lost a lot…

Customer Question
He is a cavalier...

He is a cavalier with diabetes and has recently lost a lot of weight but is ravenous for food.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help with the diabetes. What is the dog's name and age?

Digger, age 9

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Digger

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Digger?

He has now started getting in the trash and jumping on the table to get food. He eats 2 cans of food a day plus snacks and all he can sneak. He has lost 20 pounds and is still losing.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/6/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Digger. Is this behavior in spite of his receiving insulin for his diabetes?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I give him insulin twice a day, 14 units

Thank you. How much does Digger weigh and which insulin are you giving him?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
20 pounds, and the insulin is Novulin N 100

The dose would seem to be appropriate but nonetheless he's poorly regulated and showing signs of persistent hyperglycemia. When was his last glucose curve performed?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't know

Then he needs a glucose curve performed by his vet at your earliest convenience. You're going to lose him to diabetic ketoacidosis (a severe and life-threatening form of diabetes) if his blood sugar can't be managed properly. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, I'll take him right now. thanks so much.

Good to hear. You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian