Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is a golden retriever and he needs to go pee

Customer Question
My dog is a...

My dog is a golden retriever and he needs to go pee frequently but when he does just teeny teeny bit comes out and he's been acting like he don't feel good he just lays down and then all the sudden he jumps up and want to go outside to pee but when he pees only of teeny teeny bit comes out

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he 6 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Alex?

Well he's been shaking his head a lot and I was thinking that his ears were dirty so I got warm water and vinegar and clean this ears out so he doesn't shake his head as much as before but other than those two things he's okay

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/6/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Alex. You've described a stranguric (frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine) dog and in the male dog that can indicate obstruction of his urethra by urinary calculi (stones), a bacterial urinary tract infection, or acute prostatitis if Alex is intact (not neutered). Acute prostatitis is always associated with a bacterial infection but in that case antibiotics alone rarely suffice. These dogs should be neutered for a more reliable cure.

Alex needs the attention of his vet at your earliest convenience. If he can't empty his bladder effectively he'll suffer kidney damage within 36 hours. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian