Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My puppy russel just swallowed an advil (200 mg) Berta. I…

Customer Question
My puppy jack russel...

My puppy jack russel just swallowed an advil (200 mg)

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Berta

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Berta?

I fed her now and she seems totally ok for now jumping around

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/6/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did she eat this?

How much does she weigh?

30 min ago, 4 kg

Ok, now I know she seems ok but its only because she hasn't yet absorbed what is too big a dose for her. At this dose, we could see vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss, bleeding stomach ulcers and even damage to her kidneys and liver. So, we need to act fast before she can absorb this.

Now if you have access to 3% hydrogen peroxide, this can be used to induce vomiting at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting (or you don't have access to this in your country), then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, to reduce nausea but also stomach ulcer risks for Berta we can also treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall this is a dangerous dose for a pup this small and we need to act fast. So, the above needs to be done now. Else if you don't have peroxide on hand or struggle with the above at all,we'd want her seen right away so her vet can induce vomiting and give fluids to prevent harm her.e

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Thank you! After the salt drink she vomited 3 times already. She is in a good mood now and sleeping. Later i feed her dry food and add a cooked egg. After how many hours we can say she is good? Anything else I need to consider?

Hello again,

Apologies for my delay, I had to see a poorly patient of my own.

If you used salt water, do keep a close eye on her as that can be dangerous for them as well. So, if the tablet wasn't brought up (which doesn't sound the case), she has weakness, wobbliness or any of the other signs I noted before, we need her seen. Else if we don't see any signs develop within 24 hours we'd hope she'd be out of the woods at that point.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

*********************************

I aim to provide the best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) afterwards as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra fee for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Berta is still vomiting - there is nothing in her stomach anymore. Is there anything I can do to help here? Should she be forced to drink? It is now 10 hrs ago since the accident, how long will this last?

Good afternoon,

The poor love, it may be that you have given too much salt there.

You can try an OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), Calcium carbonate (60-120mg every 12 hours)] to soothe her stomach. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Afterwards, you can consider starting her on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

*******************************************

Please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) afterwards as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra fee for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Thank you very much for all your help. She is fine now, cheeky as before - next week we will see a vet to conclude. You have really been of great help. Thank you!

You are very welcome & thank you for the update,

I am glad to hear that she is well and hopefully she will avoid giving us any more scares for a good wee while. :)

Dr. B.

Please take the time to rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) afterwards as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra fee for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian