Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We found an american bully 7 week old puppy we love. One eye…

Customer Question
We found an american...

We found an american bully 7 week old puppy we love. One eye has a film over it. The breeder took it to the vet and there was no specific diagnosis given, only that it was probably from a trauma at birth. How should we go about getting the eye checked before adoption. What possible diagnosis could there be? thank you

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the puppy?

How can we tell if the puppy can see at all. The vet put it on antibiotic drops. My husband waved his finger in front of the eye but there was no response. I am not sure if the puppy was just chilled or could not see.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the puppy's name?

They call the puppy left eye.. dont think I would stick with that...

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the puppy?

What can eye films mean at birth?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/6/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I would need to examine this eye hands-on to be most accurate for you but I believe that you're describing a symblepharon which defines a partial or complete adhesion of the palpebral conjunctiva of the eyelid to the bulbar conjunctiva of the eyeball. It results either from disease or trauma. To answer you directly, having the eye examined by a specialist veterinary ophthalmologist (www.acvo.org) would be best as such a specialist is best equipped to perform the surgery needed in these patients.

Caretakers often describe prolapse of the third eyelid over the globe as a "film" as well; hence, the need for a proper exam. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?