Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He ingested large amounts of Vaseline. Then I induced

Customer Question
He ingested large amounts...

He ingested large amounts of Vaseline. Then I induced vomiting, which he did. Found out that was the improper thing to do. I don't want my dog to die. How can I help him?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Chipp and he's a year old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chipp?

No. In pretty good shape

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/6/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How much of what he ate do you think he brought up?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

I let him go outside first to use the bathroom. Then he threw up quite a bit. Let me count his breathing rate and look at his gums

Ok, please do I will keep an eye out for your reply.

Dr. B.

No pale pink/white gums. How do I take his breathing rate?

Good, I am glad those aren't pale. For the breathing rate, just look at him and count the number of breaths he takes in 10 seconds and let me know that number.

Breathing rate 36

Great! That is near normal for a dog at rest and to see that with pink gums tells me Chipp has good oxygenation. Which is good news since the issue with inducing vomiting for Vaseline ingestion is just that it is a choking hazard and can be aspirated into the lungs. So, if he hasn't those above respiratory changes we'd not be overly worried about those complications. And in that case, we'd just want to monitor him and offset the risk of GI upset (diarrhea, vomiting) from an Vaseline still in his system.

For that, consider offering a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to keep his stools firm and support digestion. Further to this, if we see any nausea, we can also treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. But again given his normal respiratory signs we'd not be worried about any harm from inducing vomiting and would just monitor and support his gut at this stage.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

It's about 18 now.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Is it normal for his guns to be a brownish color? He is a lab mix

Hi again,

Is that a normal color for him or is that new?

What color lab mix is he?

If you are concerned, you can take a photo of his gums for me to check.

To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

Thank you,

That is fine. Given that he is a dark colored dog that is just natural pigment but the wee pink areas on the edges are normal (if we ever had any doubt on perfusion, you can roll the lower eyelid down as that usually isn't pigmented). But I'd not be worried here.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Thank you so very much. He gets into everything. Smh

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad to be of help and wish you both the best. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

**************************************

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**