Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is drinking an unusual amount of water. Should I be…

Customer Question
My dog is drinking...

My dog is drinking an unusual amount of water. Should I be considered? Overall behavior is great! She's eating normally, and doesn't seem lethargic. Her bowel movements are also normal. But I've noticed within the last 12 hours, she seems more thirsty than normal.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. It could be an infection. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** months old, Female Boxer, not spayed yet. Have an appointment to do that in two weeks.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Luna?

She's a parvo survivor as well. She's been home from the hospital (no symptoms) for 5 weeks now.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
you can just email instead.***@******.***
1/6/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long have you been seeing these signs?

Does she appear to be passing large or small volumes of urine? Going more often or straining?

Does her urine appear watery/dilute or dark/odorous?

When was her last season/heat?

Hi there, thank you for responding. I just started seeing this yesterday, and this morning appears to be somewhat typical. Her urine appears to look normal; and she’s not going excessively or straining. She’s had no urine accidents inside the house, and going at the schedule times i take her (which is about 3-4x a day). Her attitude is good, eating is normal.I’m not sure when her last heat was. We adopted her 5 weeks ago. The rescue was unsure when her last heat was.

Hello again,

Now as I am sure you can appreciate there are a number of factors that can affect thirst.

It can be something as simple as a diet change, to many treats or can be secondary to a health issue. With that all in mind, I am not overly worried here since Luna sounds pretty well otherwise. With all you have told me, I'd be less concerned about bladder infections and urine crystals/stones since her urination is normal. As well, as she is younger, we'd hope to put systemic worries (ie diabetes) and organ disease lower down out list as well. One concern I would just note that we just need to keep in the back of our mind is that we can see uterine infections initially appear as an increase of thirst, but she is a bit young for that and also they do tend to feel poorly. So, less likely but something to just keep an eye on.

So, I do feel this is likely benign but would just suggest monitoring and in fact we could even plan to just measure her water for the next few days. To do so, we would measure how much we put into the bowl each day and what is left after 24 hours. That volume gone plus any refills would be her total water intake. From there, we can compare this to how much she should drink on average (which is 48ml per kilogram of her weight per day). If she is having >1.5 time that that total then we'd be concerned about possible infections and would want her checked. But I'd expect over a few days that her average will be within the 48ml per kilogram of weight total.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

*********************************

I aim to provide the best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) afterwards as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra fee for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Wonderful!!! Thank you so much! I’ll do this for the next few days, keep an eye on her closely, and monitor her water intake! Thank you so much! You’ve been so helpful!

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad to be of help and wish you both the best. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

*********************************

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian