Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Double checking answer re: blood in urine after being hit by…

Customer Question
Double checking answer re...

Double checking answer re: blood in urine after being hit by vehicle.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

My pug was hit by a car day before yesterday. Sam is 7 years old. Hip was fractured. Vet sent him home today with antibiotics, stool softener and pain pills.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sam?

He's still in a lot of pain. Tried to take him outside to urinate but he couldn't do it with my husband and me trying to hold him so he could stand.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/6/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Sam, please?

To answer you directly, hematuria (blood in the urine) following trauma can arise anywhere in the urinary tract - from the kidney to the penis. If Sam can't urinate there may be no urine in a ruptured bladder or urine is leaking out of a ruptured ureter or urethra. Such a patient needs to have his urinary tract imaged by ultrasound or a dye study performed (intraveous pyelogram).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Evidently he can't urinate while my husband and I are holding him. He cannot stand on his own, but cannot relax enough to urinate with us assisting him. He drank a lot of water last night and probably couldn't hold his urine while he was lying down. There was blood in the urine and I was afraid of internal injuries.

I understand. Your concern is apt. I would consider imaging as I mentioned and an indwelling urinary catheter at this time.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian