Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

11 year old beagle has developed a large muscle mass on back…

11 year old beagle...

11 year old beagle has developed a large muscle mass on back right leg.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?

Boogie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Boogie?

He's a little overweight

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/6/2018
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian

Greetings, I'm Dr. Peck, hopefully I might be of some help.

Does this mass appear to be bothering Boogie? Are you sure it's related to the muscles of his leg?

Write me back when you get a chance and I will reply to continue the discussion as soon as I am able to! - Dr. Peck.

Hello Dr. Peck, thank you for your response.No, it’s not bothering Boogie, but it seems to be growing and it’s a firm jelly mass. No, I’m not sure it’s related to the muscle, as it’s just an assumption. It’s located on his left upper hind leg and it’s radius is about 15.5 inches.
Thanks for the response and picture.It's impossible to say what the mass is without seeing it in person and doing some diagnostics, so you'll want to make an appointment with your local veterinarian for Boogie to get a physical examination, but I can discuss what I'd be thinking/suggesting if I were presented with Boogie in person.After a physical examination, I would suggest doing a fine needle aspiration and cytology. This involves "poking" the mass with a needle and attached syringe, pulling back on the syringes plunger to suck up some of the contents of the mass into the needle, and then spraying that on a glass slide. This slide is then stained and evaluated under a microscope.The hope would be that this mass is something easily identified in-house with this diagnostic test, such as a benign lipoma - a fatty tumor. If it is not easily identified or appears concerning for a malignancy your vet may suggest sending the sample to an outside lab for a pathologist to assess the cytology. The initial fine needle aspiration / cytology is fairly inexpensive typically, whereas sending the sample to a pathologist brings up the cost.After this initial assessment, you'll have a better idea of what the mass is, and can decide about what to do going forward. Typically youre faced with two options: monitor vs. pursue surgery.If you elect to pursue a surgery, other diagnostics may be recommended or required before the surgery. These will be more variable depending on the findings of the cytology. Possibilities might include pre-anesthetic bloodwork, chest x-rays to look for spread of cancer if malignancy is a concern, or even advanced imaging such as a CT scan to evaluate the mass location better before surgery, given its large size.Bot***** *****ne: schedule a visit with your local vet, I'd assume they would recommend an aspiration/cytology, and then go from there.Let me know if you have additional comments or questions, simply write me back and I'll reply again as soon as I'm able. Otherwise be sure to rate kindly using the stars so that I receive credit for helping with your question. Thanks! - Dr. Peck.
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian
This is wonderful advice! Thank you very much!

You are very welcome, thank you for rating. - Dr. Peck.

Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian