Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Abbie is approx. 10 yr. old rescue blk. lab, she shows all…

Customer Question
Abbie is approx. 10...

Abbie is approx. 10 yr. old rescue blk. lab, she shows all the signs of arthritis. My question is she is beginning to lose the ability to walk and cries when you touch her hind quarters. How much can I expect her to recover with tx?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the lab's name?

Abbie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Abbie?

She was active up until 1 week ago, and this seemed to come on fast. Is that normal?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/6/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr B, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr B. Thank you for your question! I am a DVM with 28 years experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

There is no way to know how well she will respond without trying but if she was active until a week ago I would certainly try....I would get her on the following:

1. Meloxicam or Rimadyl as directed by your vet

2. PS GAG injections 5 mg/kg given once weekly every week for the rest of her life: get the generic made by Ichon....and this can be given by you at home under the skin Your vet can teach you to do this. Most vets don't know this can be given SQ but it can.

Try the above first and if it is not enough then add gabapentin starting with once daily working up to twice daily slowly...

Yous should get improvement with the above. Please let me know if you have additional questions. I can be back online tomorrow night Sincerely, DRB

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr B
Dr B
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian