Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My lab had her first heat cycle; it started first week in…

Customer Question
Hello; my lab had...

Hello; my lab had her first heat cycle; it started first week in December. she has stopped bleeding; her nipples are a little swollen still. but her back 2 nipples closest to private are have these red marks around the nipple. they aren't any swollen than the others. is this normal

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/6/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. It may not be anything serious if she is acting normal otherwise. I would keep an eye on it, though. She may just be having some milk production, which isn't abnormal after a heat cycle. If the areas start to get redder, you see other lesions that look like bruising, she becomes painful in this area, there is swelling or an abnormal discharge from the mammary glands here or she acts ill in any way; I would definitely have your vet check her out ASAP. This isn't anything I would be very concerned about at this point if she is acting normal otherwise. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating at no additional charge. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how your Lab is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian