Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 12 month pit name Bella she has a small open sore…

Customer Question
Good evening I have...

Good evening I have a 12 month pit bull name Bella she has a small open sore on her upper back hine. Along with some small bumps around that location of the sore I have some concerns

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the pit?

She a good dog I got her a couple of months ago from my son he is away now Bella was not being care for

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/6/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long have the sores been there for? Are you able to take pictures of the sores?

Did you receive the pitcher
Prefer text

Hello, No I didn't receive the picture

Okay I got the picture. How long have the sores been there for? Have you seen any fleas on Bella? Based on its appearance, I initially suspect that it could be some type of allergic reaction to something. A common reaction could be due to fleas but they also could be sensitive to things in the environment or their food as well.

No fleas I wash and groom her very well I have started her on New dog treats anew food blue buffalo

Okay thanks for the information. What type of shampoo do you use to wash her. ?It is possible that she may be having a reaction to the new dog treats or the new food. You can try to give her benadryl to see if it helps with the scabs in case it is an allergy.

Shampoo I switch from Hart ultra guard to sentry flea and tick shampoo with oatmeal treats I give her blue buffalo stix lamb and beef
The food blue life protection formula with life source bits

I probably would avoid the flea and tick shampoo until the sores heal. I would switch to an oatmeal based shampoo only as the flea and tick medication may further irritate the skin. You may want to get either a topical for flea control or an oral flea and tick medication. You can also try the Seresto collar which can last up to 8 months as well. What was she eating before the Blue diet?

Purina pro chicken rice my son had be for he went a way so she was eat trash? I had Bella for 4mos been on blue to 3mos

Okay you can try to see it Benadryl will help her with the sores then you can also try to put her back on her original diet to see if it helps as well. If that doesn't work then she may need prescription medications to help with the skin. That may include anything such as steroids or a newer allergy medication such as Apoquel.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Alleyne