Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She is 12 years old and has never been sick and for about a…

Customer Question
She is 12 years...

She is 12 years old and has never been sick and for about a week she started peeing inside the house by the door and peeing in small amounts when she would go outside, today we found blood in the urine and she is dripping pee as she walks. we tried to go to the vet but were closed. is this something we should take her to the emergency vet for tonight.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

There is not a wound in her foot she is

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Sadie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sadie?

She is eating and drinking water she still has pep in her step. she has a hard time jumping up on the bed but that is about it

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/6/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Is she straining to urinate at all? Any loss of appetite

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sadie can not hold her pee, when she pees it is a little at a time like she is trying to show me that something is wrong

Okay thanks for the additional information. Is there a large amount of blood? I would be concerned that she either has a serious urinary tract infection or she has possibly stones in her bladder. If that is the case there is a possibility that she could be partially blocked. If your veterinarian is not open early in the morning or she is continuing to have a large amount of blood then I would recommend taking her to an emergency veterinarian

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She just seems to have no control and can't hold it. she is drinking and eating hungry all the time. but keeps dripping brownish drops of urine
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
we have an appointment Monday morning at 8:30 should we take her sooner?

I would be concerned that if she keeps drippng the brownish drops of urine then she could be bleeding inside of the bladder. I wouldn't wait until Monday. I would either see if you can get her in on a Saturday morning or take her to an emergency vet if possible.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The vet is not open on Saturday just the emergency vet is open at night and weekends

Okay based on what you are describing that is going on with Sadie I can imagine she is likely very uncomfortable. I wouldn't recommend waiting until Monday to see a veterinarian. I would see if there is any other veterinarians in your area that happens to be open on a Saturday or recommend taking her to an emergency veterinarian just to be safe. They may want to take x-rays to rule out stones and probably place her on antibiotics as well.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian