Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have a 11 year old female dog who has not eaten for a…

Customer Question
We have a 11...

We have a 11 year old female dog who has not eaten for a couple days and then started eating. She does have a growth on one of her teats. She started eating a couple days ago but had a seizure for the last two days and is now vomiting up clear fo***** *****quid and not eating. After the seizures she breathing very heavily but is still wanting to get up to be with us. She has went pee but don't think she has pooped. please advise

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

No she was fine before this week.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/6/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What sign was first? Had she had seizures before now?

Can she keep anything down at this point?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Can you take a photo of the growth for me to assess? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

not eating for two days and there were drips on blood on floor but no open sores, she was licking her teat area. ( it is still swollen and hard) but then started to eat on 3rd day, but had her very 1st seizure but continued to eat. seizure 4th day, and stopped eating again. panting after the seizures. had another small seizure last night and seems to be a little out of it. the vomiting has been for last 3 days. the vomit is clear. She did have a normal bowel movement last night and seems to be able to pee with no problems. Her mouth looked normal no sores but when we pushed on her sides toward the back she did start the vomiting again. As far as I know there have been no more seizures.

Poor lass,

Now it does sound like she is being bombarded by a few different issues and I have to say that I am quite concerned.

If she has had more than one seizure in the past few days that is a real worry and that alone would be an indication to have her seen by the local vet. This is because at her age epilepsy is unlikely and we'd be more worried about a toxic exposure, bacterial blood stream infection, systemic viral infection, or that it was secondary to organ dysfunction (ie liver, kidney, etc). And all of those could cause her to be nauseous (which is the cause of her vomiting and her appetite loss). It is also possible that if the mass on her teat is a nasty cancer that has elevated her blood calcium, it could lead to her other signs itself. And I'd note that the blood may be from the teat orifice itself but that sounds to be a minor issue at this point.

So, I have to say that if she were my patient I'd want to be seeing her now to check bloods, examine her, and to start anti-seizure medication and anti-nausea medication to ease her signs. Any delay and you can at least try to soothe her stomach with an OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac),]Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet. Afterwards, you can consider starting her on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). But again her signs raise some serious concerns and we'd not want to leave her with this any longer then we must especially with the seizures.

In this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet. To find your local ER veterinary clinic, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Thank you very much

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes to you both,

Dr. B.

*********************************

Please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) afterwards as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra fee for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

rating is a 5

Thank you my dear. :)

All the best,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.