Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a litter of 8 week old puppies. 4 days ago one quit…

Customer Question
I have a litter...

I have a litter of 8 week old puppies. 4 days ago one quit eating and drinking. Now another pup has done the same. All puppies have received their parvovirus distemper shots prior to this issue. I have taken it to the vet and they are not sure what the issue is. They swear it is not parvovirus. They have solid stools and don't seem dehydrated. They are still fairly active.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Expert will know what to do. What is the puppy's name?

They still aren't named. I let the new owners do it. I am a breeder. Never have had issues before.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the puppy?

That should be it.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/5/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your puppies. I see there is no diarrhea; is there any vomiting?

Were they tested for parvo virus?

Is the pup that has not eaten for 4 days getting fluid therapy?

Any fever?

Any coughing, nasal discharge or other respiratory signs? Has your vet done any tests at all?

No vommiting. I have started forcing them to take a milk replacer. No fever to speak of.
No other issues.

Have any tests been done? The only way to be sure it is not parvo is by testing, and not eating is the first sign of parvo, before the vomiting or diarrhea begin.

There are other less common viruses that can make puppies sick: corona virus, adeno virus, herpes virus.

Have they had a stool sample checked microscopically for parasites?

I hope you are able to see my responses. Please let me know how they are doing and what other questions you have.

How are the puppies? I did not hear back from you.

Please let me know if you have other questions, and if this was helpful.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian