Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog cam up lame in his back left leg. x-rays at the vet…

My dog cam up...

My dog cam up lame in his back left leg. x-rays at the vet were negative. Three days later he came up lame in the left front leg....x-rays yesterday were negative. today his back right leg is unstable and weak. No swelling in the back right leg. There was however swelling in the back tarsal area and front carpal area. 2nd set of x-rays on back left leg viewed by different doc say he might, might have a slight avulsion fracture. blood tests are negative although I do not know exactly what bloodwork was done. wbc however were normal. no temperature. warf is going on? I have spent $ 1000 dollars in ten days and have no answers.n

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

We have x-rays. he has been to the vet. I don't think he has a wound on three feet

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Bones

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bones?

63lb male, not neutered, pit/shepherd mix is our guess. did you read my original message?

1/5/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Bones. So he has now been lame in 3 of his legs, in less than a week?

How old is Bones?

Is he eating normally?

Has any medication been tried? I don't want to recommend anything you already have tried.

Usually with "shifting leg lameness" it is due to infectious disease, such as tick borne disease, autoimmune disease, or inflammatory disease. It might help if you could post his blood tests here, to see the results, and to see what was (and was not) tested.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
became lame on his back right leg a week ago. his tarsals were swollen but x-rays were negative. two days later he came up lame on his left front leg. his carpal area was swollen and very sensitive. x-rays yesterday were negative. Today he is now lame on his back right leg. So now three legs are hurting. he is on tramadol and vetprofen. They don't seem to do much I don't have his blood tests. The vet said they were normal. She is puzzled. his appetite is normal
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
wbc's were done. they were normal.

Good the blood tests were normal, but it might help to see which tests were run, and which were not. It is also good his appetite is normal.

How old is he?

If the vetprofen is not helping, I might try using steroids such as prednisone, in cause of "polyarthritis", an autoimmune joint disease.

Doing a tap of one of the swollen joints, and looking at the fluid/cells obtained under a microscope might help figure out what this is.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he is 8. I don't have the blood test results. The vet does. Was running normal last week. thought he hurt his back left leg from chasing his ball. However, that leg should be getting better and it is not. And now two more legs are bothering him

I might also consider a course of doxycycline, to treat for infectious disease.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
we started doxycycline today....has no temp or elevated wbc's though
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what would cause him to come up lame like this and hit him like that so fast?

I agree if he had infectious disease he might have a fever. With some of the tick borne disease, you can see a lowered, not an elevated, white cell count. Good he is taking the doxycycline.

This could be infectious disease, autoimmune disease, or inflammatory disease; all of these could come on suddenly.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
does a tap hurt? what does it entail? what does a tap usually cost?

Doing the joint tap I mentioned earlier might help figure out if it is any of these. If the doxycycline does not help, that is what I would do next. Most dogs do not seem to mind it.

The cost would vary with the clinic, and the lab where the samples are sent for microscopic evaluation. At my clinic it would be around $90 for the office call/exam and joint tap, and the lab fee would probably be around $100.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
are there supplements that can reverse this or curb this? Can pet treats cause this? is DIM ok for dogs?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I ask because I know CBD's help people with certain similar things. Also, Silimarin for example for people is great for detoxifying the liver. DIM is also great for humans and has anti-cancer properties.

Supplements can be helpful with arthritis, but this came on so suddenly it is probably not simple arthritis. There may be supplements that could be helpful, but until we have a diagnosis, it is hard to know what to recommend.

What is DIM? I do know what CBD oil is.

Silimarin is good for liver disease.

CBD can be good for pain, but if this is an autoimmune disease, it would be important to start prednisone before there is damage to the joints.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
DIM is di-indolmethane; cbd is cannabadiol, the good stuff in marijuana

Yes, I am familiar with CBD. It has not been studied a lot in dogs, but seem to be helpful with pain. Let me research DIM; I have not heard of that before.

My usual resources do not give me info about di-indolmethane. Searching on the internet, it seems it may have anti cancer properties, but I am more concerned about infectious or auto immune disease and I do not see it listed for that.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
my vet wants 700 and puts him under for the tap...

If this were my own dog or my patient, I would tap one of the swollen joints, and try prednisone for possibly autoimmune disease. CBD and some other of these supplements would be good support for a dog taking prednisone, but will probably not treat autoimmune or infectious disease by themselves.

Please let me know if my answer is helpful and what other questions you have.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks,...that is all

You are welcome; please let me know how is is doing. If the doxycycline appears to make no difference in a couple of days, I would try the prednisone or consider the joint tap.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian