Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has hip dysplasia (sp) and has been on 325mg a lot…

Customer Question
My dog has hip...

My dog has hip dysplasia (sp) and has been on 325mg a lot more as of late because of the cold weather and pain. Now am seeing red spots on skin. Could it be too much aspirin?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Wednesday Addams 2 yrs 1 month

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/5/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I understand that your pup has been taking a lot more aspirin given the cold weather, and now you are noticing red spots on her skin.

If the spots look like bruises or small areas of red/bleeding under the skin then they may well be secondary to too much aspirin, and secondary bleeding. Aspirin does cause stomach and intestinal irritation and ulceration as well as clotting problems so should not be given for more than 2 to 3 days consecutively and should always be given with a meal.

I tell owners if you choose to use asprin watch for lack of appetite, vomiting, blood in the stools or dark tarry stools, and signs of bleeding/bruises and stop immediately if you see those.

Do not use aspirin if your dog has liver or kidney disease or a history of a sensitive stomach or clotting problems, or is not eating.

I would discontinue aspirin immediately and have your pup checked by her veterinarian.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian