Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Yorkie is 8 years old and his left front paw in turned in…

Customer Question
Hi: My Yorkie is...

Hi: My Yorkie is 8 years old and his left front paw in turned in apparently since he was born. It seems to be getting more turned in causing him to lose his balance at time. He doesn't seem to be in pain. I showed the vet several times and she said to leave it alone.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Myles

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Myles?

He just went to the vet because over a week ago he couldn't walk wherein the day before he was perfectly fine. She is not sure what happened she gave hime a steroid injection followed by prednisone pills which is is almost finished. He is doing better with walking and eating. It just seems the paw is turning more inward.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/5/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am dr. Nicole and would be happy to help you with your question. I am sorry to hear about myles. I'm working on a response and will be back shortly.
given the fact that he is 8 years old and was born with this condition, I would have to say I would tend to agree with your veterinarian that it would probably be more difficult to try to correct the issue then simply manage joint discomfort. Obviously I have not examined him or seen a picture of his paw or an x-ray, but typically if this is a chronic congenital problem he's probably developing some arthritis in that paw and that is why it might be a bit uncomfortable for him at this point in time. In order to correct a problem like this he would probably have to go to an orthopedic surgeon to be evaluated to determine if anything could be done at this point in time. Surgery at this point may end up causing him more discomfort in the long run. I think the goal would be instead to manage arthritis through the use of joint supplements and intermittent pain medication as needed come see how he responds to that.
There are so many natural and pharmaceutical ways of treating joint discomfort that can be considered. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. I think it's definitely a balance or trying to figure out what it is best for him in the long term. Please let me know if you have additional questions. If you are satisfied with my assistance, 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognizing and compensated for our time. Even after the rating this conversation will stay open for about a week. Sincerely ***** *****
I will say I know this is a tough situation because you want to make him feel better immediately. But I think we need to think about the pros and cons of both approaches. It is possible that there maybe a surgical solution however it really just depends on what that joint looks like as far as whether something can actually be done. I will say most of the time with these chronic congenital joint conditions they have to be managed medically versus surgically at least from what you are describing.
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian