Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 5 year old yorkie named Lilly. She is having

Customer Question
Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a 5 year old yorkie named Lilly. She is having problems with severe stomach bloat. She just had her stomach drained for the 3rd time. Each time it is a large amount of clear liquid. Afterwards, she is very lethargic for a few days, but then back to normal. I have been to the vet multiple times...no signs of liver or heart problems. She is still undiagnosed at this time. Very concerned because this a re occurring process and seems to only be a temporary fix?? any help would be appreciated. I've read that it can be a lack of protein, but all link to the liver. Her appetite is normal. Thank you in advance.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Nothing in addition to what I already listed.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/5/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Lilly. Hypoalbuminemia (a lack of the large protein albumin which is necessary to keep fluid inside vessels and out of spaces such as the abdominal cavity) indeed is an important consideration in Lilly. A poorly functioning liver might not be able to produce enough albumin or albumin may be lost through damaged kidneys or bowel. Liver function is assessed with serum bile acid testing. Assessment of liver enzymes won't suffice. Yorkies are over-represented with lymphangectasia and severe forms of inflammatory bowel disease and both can cause enough damage in the bowels for protein loss through the GI tract to be significant. Scoping and biopsy of the GI tract is necessary for confirmation of such disorders. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for the response. The doctor is now prescribing Lasix and a special diet. This is the only thing we haven’t tried yet. Do you think this could help?

It might be palliative but if a lack of albumin is responsible for her abdominal effusion, the cause must be determined and addressed specifically. Do you know if she's truly hypoalbuminemic? It's a simple blood test.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian