Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I've never had the issue before but his penis is out of his…

Customer Question
I've never had the...

I've never had the issue before but his penis is out of his sheet and it's the second time that it has been so what can I do for it so I can avoid a vet bill

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

He's a Boston Terrier he's six years old and his name is*****: OK. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Harley?

No he's a good boy he's just very small and very energetic like I said this is the second time that he has stuck out and it's just like a little bit of it's not like the whole thing it's like the tip of it

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/5/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian. I'm here to help with your concerns regarding Harley.

How long has his penis been stuck out of the sheath?

What color is the tip of his penis?

Does the penis appear more swollen than normal?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's just like the tip of it it looks pink second time it's happened and just for like the second day this is like the second day cuz it was doing it yesterday and the day before so two days
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No calls I'm very limited on money I just want to know what I can do to prevent this and avoid a $73 vet bill

Feel free to disregard the phone call request. This is sent by the website automatically, not me. I will be able to answer your question on this chat.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK thank u

As long as the penis is not swollen or dark/purple in color, you should be able to simply replace it into the sheath by pulling the sheath to gently cover the penis.

It may be helpful to apply a lubricant (KY jelly, mineral oil or a small amount of vasoline) to the tip of the penis to help the haired sheath glide over it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah I've been doing that what else can I do to prevent it from coming out and what causes it to come out I know I'm from Corning New York and we're getting very cold weather right now could that have something to do with it

Yes, the cold weather can be causing the sheath to contract, exposing more of the penis than normal.

If he has been licking the area, he can also cause increased swelling which prevents the penis from retracting normally.

If it is mildly swollen, applying some granulated sugar (regular table sugar) to the tip of the penis can reduce the swelling and help it to retract into the sheath. It is important to prevent him from licking it, and then rinsing off the sugar once the swelling goes down.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

If you’d like to request me in the future for your pet-related questions, you can contact me at this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drdenise/?rpt=3800

Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian