Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I took in an emaciated pit yesterday and she was walking…

Customer Question
I took in an...

I took in an emaciated pit bull yesterday and she was walking around and eating. The lady who had her made the mistake of feeding her 1.5 cups of food 2x, and since we have taken her in we have fed her .5 cups every 6 hours to stretch her stomach out. Today, she is not getting out of her bed, will not eat the dog food or any meat that I have cooked, and is breathing quickly. Her nose is running as well. All the veterinarian offices in my area are closed due to a snow storm we had and animal control is closed as well

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

There are no wounds on her foot

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the pit's name and age?

She didn't have a name when we got her. Her previous owner neglected her. Her approximate age is 2 to 4 judging by her teeth and coat

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the pit's name?

We haven't given her a name yet. We just call her momma

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Momma?

She recently had puppies, but we don't know how long ago. She is leaking milk often and she is discharging through her vagina. She has pooped twice since we had her

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/5/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

This is a tough situation because it sounds like she does need to see a vet. I will do my best to help though.

Do you have any Pepcid AC or Zantac? How much does she weigh?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian