Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 5 and a half month old Golden Retriever you had to…

Customer Question
Hello. I have a...

Hello. I have a 5 and a half month old Golden Retriever you had to have his right arm amputated at the shoulder. This amputation took place within the first 3 weeks of his life. About 7 or 8 days ago we noticed that it was filling up with fluid mixed with blood. My husband has been draining it everyday or every other day since then and takes out about 18 to 24 CiCi's. We've also been giving him Amoxicillin. Is there anything else that we could be doing to keep this from happening or should we take him to the vet? I'm sure the obvious answer is to probably take him to the vet but we are a little strapped and would rather do things on her own if we can. Course, we will take him to the vet and make do if that's what is necessary. My husband also has given him a shot of penicillin.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the Golden Retriever?

Hi there. My name is***** and my husband and I have a 5 and a half month old Golden Retriever who had to have his right arm amputated at the shoulder at about 3 weeks old. In the last 7 or 8 days we've noticed that there is a fluid building up where his stump is. It's a clear liquid mixed with some blood we are assuming. My husband has been draining it nearly every day and giving him Amoxicillin. He usually gets anywhere from 18 to 24 cc's of fluid out of this area every time he drains it. He's had two amoxicillins every day for the last 7 days and one shot of penicillin. We will gladly take him to a vet if necessary but if there is any way we can take care of this on our own., we would rather do that. My husband knows how to take care of dogs and farm animals fairly well. We never had this kind of problem eith any one of our other animals. Many thanks in advance.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the Golden Retriever seem to hurt?

It does bot really phase him. Ehen it gets full he scratches thst ares. Otherwise, one woukd never know there is anything wrong.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Just the pocket thst fills with fluid.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the Golden Retriever eating normally?

Yes. Absolutely no problem there. He woukd eat the house if we aloud it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is the Golden Retriever having trouble peeing or pooing?

No.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious problems there. How is the Golden Retriever behaving differently?

No. He is very playful. We hsve other dogs and they all play eith him and school him even.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious behavior changes. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the Golden Retriever's name?

Chester.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chester?

He might be a bit over weight. He looks lanky but when we had him nurtured he weighed in at 35 lbs and should hsve been around 22lbs. He has gotten bigger but he does not look thst fat. I still think he should be skinnier, though, because of his front leg

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/5/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Chester...who seems to have had quite a start in life. Your ministrations have been exemplary but I believe that more will need to be done. An effusion this long after surgery usually implies one of two things - a foreign body reaction such as to a retained suture or a slowly festering post-operative bacterial infection. Ideally, this area should be explored surgically looking for a foreign body and the fluid cultured in order to determine which, if any, bacteria, are present and, if so, which antibiotic would be the best to prescribe. I understand your financial constraints, however. Aspirating these effusions is reasonable once or twice but if they persist in spite of repeated aspirations, surgical intervention is indicated. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you very much. I thought as much. I just eanted to be sure. We will get him to the vet. ��

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian