Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has IVDD, and I gave him 10mg of acepromazine at his…

Customer Question
My dog has IVDD...

My dog has IVDD, and I gave him 10mg of acepromazine at his vet's discretion to see what the reaction would be when he goes to get groomed (he gets very agressive during grooming and can't handle it while he's awake). He was doing well and recovering from his IVDD, but since giving him the tranquilizer I'm noticing a recurrence of his symptoms. Is this normal?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Charlie is 7yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Charlie?

7yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charlie?

No, just his IVDD symptoms

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/5/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I don't see a relationship between having been administered a phenothiazine tranquilizer such as acepromazine and recrudescence (relapse without cure between events) of his IVDD. Signs of IVDD can wax and wane throughout a dog's life and so I suspect that what you're seeing is coincidental. Correlation doesn't imply causation.

I would consider initiating therapy for IVDD once again - a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug, a skeletal muscle relaxant, and a narcotic analgesic while keeping Charlie as quiet as possible for a minimum of 10 days. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian